Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Samsung UN55B8000



Ultra Slim LED/LCD Display

This one caught my eye because of the 1.2" depth. You can literally hang it on the wall like a picture. No need for 3/4" plywood blocking with this display. The contrast ratio is considerably higher than the average LCD display. With a quick 2 ms response time and 1080p native resolution, this is cool I want one. It claims to use 40% less power because of the "LED" technology which I believe is a combination of LCD and LED technology that utilizes the LED's for brightness while maintaining a liquid crystal component to do everything else. I know LED's are small now, but can you really fit 1080 of them in a row with a 46" diagonal frame? I would guess not, but I could be wrong. I haven't seen this display in person yet but I will be on the look out.

Check it out: Samsung UN55B8000

2 comments:

  1. Hey Nate, George here. I actually just got the New Samsung PN50B850 and it was between this LED LCD and that plasma. After extensive research on my part I went with the plasma. The new technology using LED's to light the screen isn't as reliable as we would like. In most cases after about a month of use the screen develops black spots in the corners due to the LED's brightness decreasing. I thought it might be a couple bad apples until I went and shopped around and most of the displays in the stores had all these problems. You should do a review on the plasma, its the same depth with a 3,000,000-1 contrast ratio with a boat load of other features and I have it and love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks George! Sounds like this ultra slim LED/LCD hybrid isn't quite up to par yet and still has some bugs to be worked out. Maybe the next iteration will be better.

    ReplyDelete

 
Custom Search